EPISODE 9: SUNGLASSES + BAIL MONEY






Song: Part II: The Bullshit Savior Complex
Artist: Bear Hands
Album: Songs From Utopia: Vol. 1 EP ****


















Why aren’t Bear Hands huge? Their debut is still one of the best records front to back I have on my iPod. They were fantastic live, playing to me and like 20 other people. This EP is fucking brilliant, ESPECIALLY the ‘video’ that accompanies all 3 tracks. This track is the greatest, most cynical thing I’ve heard all year. I don’t get it. Whatever, I just wish they had more music I could give them money for.  Hey, Bear Hands. The debut. Vinylize it..



Song: Stay Gold
Artist: The Big Pink
Album: Future This ****


















Love The Big Pink. Ever since hearing that first beat drop of 'Dominoes' a few years back I've loved what these guys have put out. Big 80s-esque beats but not in a cliched cheesy way. These gents do it right. A little ashamed to admit though that I slept on this album for awhile and completely forgot about it. I didn't come across it until I was in an Urban Outfitters before Christmas looking for some ridiculous party sunglasses when the song 'Rubbernecking' came on in the store. Thank fuck for Shazam.  


Song: Get Down
Artist: P.O.S
Album: We Don't Even Live Here ****

















 
A long time in the making for this album. I was going to be real upset if it was shit. But in true P.O.S fashion, he came out swinging. A bit of a change from Never Better, but equally as cool. You can definitely hear the progression and experimentation with new sounds and beat arrangements. If you get the chance to see this dude live, take it. With some recent health issues, who knows how much longer he'll be going out on the road.



Song: No Love
Artist: Death Grips
Album: No Love Deep Web ****



















Hey. I just noticed that this might be the title track. Hooray for how this album was released. Seriously, hooray, like I’ve got mad hooray for how Death Grips leaked their own major label album. I also like the yelling. I also think I like this album better than the other one. More solid throughout.  I also like how it’s like BOOM…. BOOM… tick…. BOOM and … then BOOM… no wait… BOOM… BOOOOOM.. naw.. well I can’t do it, but you know what I mean.




Song: Guilford Avenue Bridge 
Artist: Dan Deacon
Album: America ***



















Rated pretty high by Pitchfork, but not sure I totally agree with that. One of those albums where the good tunes are fantastic, but there's still a bunch of less than stellar jams in between. In my opinion. Obviously. You be the judge. Or don't. Whatever. None the less, cool song to rock to. All over the damn place, electroclash. Yezzir.






Song: Beginnings 
Artist: Chrome Canyon
Album: Elemental Themes **



















Anyone missing Air? Even though the whole record is nowhere near this good (don’t take my word for it) they’re on my future watch list. Lots of potential here.




Song: Turns Turns Turns
Artist: Majical Cloudz
Album: Turns Turns Turns EP ****



















Ok, so we’ve just got word that the band will NOT change their name in time for this episode so… Great EP from MAJICAL CLOUDZZZZZZZZZZZ! Reminds me of Francis and the Lights and Something for Rockets. Those are two different bands. No one knows anything about this Majical Clouds because they have to get these blurbs done before class and don’t want to spend the time on Wikipedia.






Song: Fifty / Fifty
Artist: The Luyas
Album: Animator **




















Imagine if the whole album was this good? You’ll have to. Two stars.




Song: Black Eyes
Artist: Radical Face
Album: Family Tree ****



















The third and final installment of tunes from the 'Thirty Thousand' surf doc soundtrack. There's a good reason why this soundtrack has won awards, and a good reason why we've played 3 jams from it. Perfect surf music yet again, but the chilled out evening beach session type surf stuff. Highly recommend this entire album. Well worth it. Not so sure on the band name, but it is what it is I suppose. If he keeps making songs like this though he can call himself 'Kitchen Cabinets' for all we care. Definitely makes me wanna go pick up my acoustic and start writing……..buuuuuuuttt I probably won't.




Song: Justice Delivers Its Death
Artist: Sufjan Stevens
Album: Silver & Gold (Fantastic Africa Version)*****



















We play a lotta Soof and we don’t hear any complaints. OH! Ok – look – before Christmas, I combed through the 3 hours / 5 discs that comprise Silver and Gold, and cut a 13 track, condensed version that I think is one of his best albums. Request yours now.






Song: Rough Sleeper
Artist: Burial
Album: Truant + Rough Sleeper (single)  *****



















We play a lotta Burial, too. And the answer to the question: “What is this shit – are they just playing half the album?” is “Yes”. But, that’s sorta how his tracks are coming these days. Worth riding along for… with… it…. riding along with.