EPISODE 4: FOURPLAY FOREPLAY






Artist: Animal Collective
Song: Peacebone
Album: Strawberry Jam *****














This was the last CD I ever bought (so far). A shop in Victoria, BC. Sound unheard. At that point I was the only one I knew who knew Animal Collective, and this was apparently going to be their first attempt at a 'pop' album. Dig that poppy pop sound. So uh... yeah, I guess second time's the charm. Great record and a great primer for the new one 'Centipede Hz' due out in September, as presumably will... 



Artist: Animal Collective
Song: Honeycomb
Album: Honeycomb/Gotham 7" *****














Still too 'pop' for the new record, I'm guessing Honeycomb bridges the gap between where we've been with MPP and where we're going. I have this feeling that fans of the early apocryphal records like Danse Manitee might be a clue. The b-side Gotham's worth a listen for collectors..

Artist:Animal Collective
Song: Leaf House
Album: Sung Tongs *****














This was the first Animal Collective song I ever heard. I remember describing to a friend as the sound of psychotic musical genius. Technically, this album featured only Panda Bear and Avey Tare, hence the lack of Geologist's electronics. Back when people's best guess was to group AC in with the 'New Weird America' lot. 'Member that? Shit.

Artist: Animal Collective
Song: Grass
Album: Feels *****














There has been no time - not one era, album, song, or moment that Animal Collective haven't been perfectly brilliant, and worlds ahead of the rest of us. Same Baltimore alternative education private public school as Yeasayer, and some notable others. Crazy. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_School_of_Baltimore
And, if this is a new side of AC for you, spend some time with the back catalog, they never disappoint.

Artist: Symmetry
Song: Thicker Than Blood
Album: Themes for an Imaginary Film ***














The imaginary film is rumored to be Drive, which Symmetry (bka Johnny Jewel - auteur behind the Chromatics, Desire, Nite Jewel, Italians Do It Better records, etc) was original slated to score. I was a fan of the film, and the OST - but if this was Johnny's, we missed out. 20 something tracks, half of them make the collection for night drives through the neon.

Artist: Friends
Song: I'm His Girl
Album: Manifest **














I never got tired of the 2002ish dirty DFA records sound (e.g., Rapture's House of Jealous Lovers), so the singles released over a year ago sounded real good to me. Unfortunately the LP doesn't live up to the hype - but it's danceable, and the singles sound as fresh as ever.

Artist: Kelley Polar
Song: Cosmological Constancy
Album: Love Songs of the Hanging Gardens ****














Speaking of that era NYC - Kelley Polar has never really got the recognition he deserved. Clipped, tight nouveau metro-disco, and a second album following this which got a little more space-disco a la Lindstrom, but always with a focus on ultra-fat analog synths, disco string arrangements, and respect shown for MJ and Prince.

Artist: Kindness
Song: That's Alright
Album: World You Need a Change of Mind **














I WISH THIS IS WHAT THIS ALBUM SOUNDED LIKE! Someone needs to start tapping the hip-pop of the early 90s again. Think any of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtracks. Pure Gold. Anyway, we'll give 2 stars, in this case meaning one incredible single, and a record of comparatively tepid (but likeable?) indie-electropop. I'm thinking his vocals (not featured here) are the weak link. Hoping next outing focusses on his strengths.

Artist: Death Grips
Song: I've Seen Footage
Album: Money Bank ****














I don't know what to say about Death Grips. New. Innovation that never sounds laboured. Fresssshhhhhh?
Raw as fuck as possible in a roughly beats-and-rhyme genre. I'm not gonna name the genre. It isn't rap as we've known it. It's Death Grips. Must hear music, one of a kind.

Artist: Royal Headache
Song: Surprise
Album: Self Titled ***














A record of sunny 2 minute fuzz-pop rough cuts. Australian. Obviously.

Artist: TV On The Radio
Song: Halfway Home
Album: Dear Science ***














Incredible arrangement. Epicism earned. And, I mean, I think that Dave Sitek's work with basically any other band (and pretty much any of the other members' solo stuff) is total bullshit. This is the album things took a sudden turn for the band. Drastically different than the previous two, expectation setting for the one that followed. Worth sitting down with.

Artist:You Won't
Song: Television
Album: Skeptic Goodbye














Didn't hear much about these guys, but a totally catchy, smart, thoughtful record that reminds me of the modesty-in-spite-of-intellect-via-pop-tunes that sells Ben Folds or Weezer. Old Weezer. Refreshing stuff. Brisk.... Fucking Hurley..